Monday 19 January 2009

THIS WEEK IS EXCITING!

That’s because, like many in the world, I look forward to Barack Obama being sworn in as President of the United States of America on Tuesday, January 20, 2009.

Seeing his wife Michelle standing in the middle as he accepts his office will be a proud moment for everyone, not just for black people, as it shows that finally, we are being accepted for who we are.

That’s also something that black people need to accept and remember, whether we’re running a care home or a pottery class.

We too need to remember that people should be appointed to work in a particular role for their skills and ability, not because we do or don’t like a certain person.

It’s really sad when influential individuals, regardless of race, decide to terminate someone’s employment simply because they believe: “I don’t feel that it’s working out having you around” or because the top dog says “I’ll admit it, I don’t want you.”

Thanks to friends, the Internet and sites such as MySpace, more people will know about corruption that does happen in organisations that are run this way, regardless as to whether it’s organised by black, white or Asian people.

Such behaviour will catch up and backfire on the person practicing such favouritism, particularly if we get rid of people simply because ‘they don’t look right’.

Just as Mr Obama still needs to deliver as the leader of the world’s most powerful nation, we too need to show that we are competent to fulfil our role in this day and age, not just for yesterday but today and tomorrow.

When it comes to that one, our race has nothing to do with it, so let us all show that we’re not one-trick ponies, as racing world champion Lewis Hamilton says and like Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has shown, let’s get back out there and win again.

On a sad note, I’ve seen that Tony Hart, a man who introduced generations of youngsters to the joys of drawing, has died from a chest infection, aged 83, on Sunday 18th January.

I’m glad that his passing was peaceful as those like me, who are now grown up, will also remember the characters he had in his shows, particularly Morph and his menacing friend Chas, who kept getting Morph into trouble.

Although I saw the similarities, it’s only today that I found out the same studio that produced Morph and Chas went onto make Wallace and Gromit.

No doubt the tributes have flowed in but I would like to add mine by saying it was a pleasure and an honour to watch Tony Hart and I thank him for showing us how important it is to let others see our creative side.

May you truly rest in peace.

On a funny note, I’m looking forward to seeing the Second International Elvis Show, in Budapest – I haven’t got tickets for it – but no doubt they’ll be some footage on the Internet about this.

It seems good for a laugh – I’m looking forward to it.

I also see that West Ham recently defeated Fulham 3-1 on their ground. I’m glad that the Hammers, with their current financial problems, have something to cheer about.

Don't forget to visit my other site, on: www.andriagreaves.com

Enjoy life


Light and Peace


Andria Greaves

No comments: