Friday 23 September 2011

You go girl, Venus Williams.

Like many, I was shocked when five-times Wimbledon champion Venus Williams pulled out of the US Open tournament earlier this year.

Whether we all like it or not, both Williams sisters have changed the way tennis is viewed and played for women.

The only other female, who did this, in my opinion, was Billie Jean King.

As the singer Phil Collins said, she took everything she saw.

But I give full credit to Venus for coming clean that she has Sjogren’s syndrome.

To know more about this illness, click here.

This is a horrible condition that saps the energy of the said person.

It’s also likely we’ll never see Ms Williams at the top level of playing tennis again.

I can appreciate the relief she must have felt about finally knowing why she just couldn’t move as fast or as powerful as she once did.

I also realise the dred which came over her next, when she realised the full extent of this illness and found out there is no cure.

I was, like Ms Williams, such an active person.

Although I wasn’t a professional athlete, I enjoyed training like one.

From my experience, it must have been awful for her, wondering why she had no energy, felt exhausted all the time and was achy and ill for no reason.

I genuinely like and still believe, in the Protestant Work Ethic.
To find out more about this concept, click here.

But I can also say such auto-immune diseases, MS is one of them, can only be held in check by steroids.

I can say no-one wants to be on such medication, which recently included me last week but faced with my health getting worse, I felt that I had no choice but to take them.

I simply couldn’t phantom this illness of Multiple Sclerosis would ever happen to me but it has.

The other day, I was riding on a bus and felt so sick seeing three people running, proudly displaying their Race For Life t-shirts, knowing a few years ago, that was me.

My advice to Ms Williams is simply to increase the humidity wherever she is.

Unfortunately such heating, if she's in a cold climate, will cost money.

On a personal note, here’s hoping Venus is able to get back to doing what she loves – which is playing tennis.

Light and Peace

Andria

On a lighter note, don’t forget to visit my other site by clicking here.

No comments: