Tuesday 20 September 2011

Why I believe in education

Hi



I’ve been getting involved, I’m proud to say, in saving six Brent libraries from closure.



They are:



Barham Park



Cricklewood



Kensal Rise



Neasden



Preston



Tokyngton – this is the one I regularly visit.




We all know education is a good thing to have but there are people who don’t want to know in helping others have this right too.


I remember when I worked in Newcastle, for a brief period, in 1999 to 2000 for a now defunct national-regional newspaper.


One friend, called Karen, whose parents are from Jamaica, also realised this importance, when she said to me: “If it wasn’t for Boots [the chemist] I wouldn’t have a job.”


Karen also added: “People were okay in speaking to me over the phone but when we met, they would look straight through me. Then I’d get the phone call saying my application was unsuccessful.”


If it wasn’t for the job I had, as a sub-editor, I wouldn’t of been in this part of the UK either.


It was my education that gave me this opportunity.


But I’m very grateful for the experience of working in Newcastle, which is within England (the North), as it was during my time there I realised the importance of the English language, which also helps explain why I, like many, was very unhappy at David Starkey’s remarks during an interview on BBC2’s Newsnight.


There were times I couldn’t understand what someone from this region was saying to me but we eventually got the right result.


It was a different culture, much different than what I’d experienced in London. Again I’m glad my education gave me this opportunity.


Whether we like it or not, people do make assumptions based on our language and accent – if we ignore this fact, then we are responsible for our own downfall.


Who wants to remain a dishwasher for the rest of their life? I once did this for a living but I'm glad to say my education enabled me to move on.


As Britons we are blessed with a language that gives us such depth, understanding and meaning, for which I’m very grateful.


That also explains why I wasn’t surprised so many black comics were offended by the Ali G character, portrayed by Sacha Baron Cohen, particularly with his tradition moan, ‘Is it because I is black?’


Such dumbing down of our society isn’t needed. The recent riots that happened in the UK showed this.


I like listening to rap music, which now covers many issues but I’m not interested in songs that talk about having lots of money, cars and b******.


I’m not interested in that kind of music anymore!


I say this because education gave me the chance and opportunity to change my views and opinions.


Education must never be a privilege of the few – but if the planned library closures in Brent go ahead, that’s exactly what you’ll have.


Barack Obama got to the highest office on the planet thanks in part to his education. We neglect language and education (which includes employment skills) at our risk.


This also helps explain why the Keep Britain White campaign of the 1950's got nowhere.


Despite my disability, I still hope one day to get in full-time employment again.


Nobody owes me a duty to employ me – regardless of my sex, race or abilities.


If people don’t want me around, they have the right to say no, regardless as to what I may suspect.


The fact remain that if you are going to live in Britain, you have to speak the language. The same applies if I was going to live in Portugal or Greece.


So be proud to speak English, take the opportunities to improve yours and please, whenever you can, visit the campaign to keep all of the libraries in Brent open, by clicking here.





Don’t forget to visit my other internet site by clicking here.





Light and Peace



Andria






No comments: