Monday 15 October 2012

I did it!


Yes, I was at the the relay, on Saturday October 13th, being held to re-open six (now seven, as the Willesden Green library is facing problems) library's in the London Borough of Brent.


My start began at 1pm, which also meant I got caught in the showers (rain).

A made-up torch, not as glamorous as the Para-Olympic or the Olympic one, was used and passed on by all the bearers, myself included.

We all read out some words before sending the torch onto someone else.
I walked from the former Tokyngton ward, to the New Barham Park site, which is on the high road, Wembley, near Argos.

Because of my illness, I had to pause many times but I made it!

As I’ve said before and I’ll say it again: ONE LIFE, LIVE IT.

My words are from Lord Alfred Tennyson’s poem, Ulyses.

It’s a long poem, so I spoke these last few words, which also sums up how many of us feel about the library closures.

It also sums up why, despite the court judging against us twice, we're still here:


...see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength

Which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by

Time and fate but strong in will.

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.


To see copies from work I’ve done, over the years, click here.

Light and Peace

Andria

X



No comments: