Sunday 12 July 2009

Only the Welsh rain can save the England Cricket team

Australia’s batsmen got a mammoth 674 for six until rain cut short a day of misery for England yesterday.

One poster, by an Australian supporter, simply said: “Only cowards pray for rain.”

Either way, Australia’s batting display is sure to result in one change in England’s attack for the second test at Lord’s this Thursday.

£££££££

This leads me to the dismay I’m seeing of England’s Women cricketers.

Despite being double world champions, it seems they are in danger of following their male counterparts.

On the first day of their Ashes Test at New Road, Worcester, they were reduced to 28 for five.

What’s going on? Sort it out ladies!

£££££££

Liverpool FC have dug their heels in by rejecting an offer for Fernando Torres.

As they are still aiming to break the domination of Manchester United, Liverpool have turned down a rumoured £60m bid for the Spanish striker, by an English football club that’s NOT Manchester City.

Their manager Rafa Benitez stated: “It was a proper offer, a big one but we said no and he wanted to stay here.”

£££££££

Talking of which, I’m glad to see defender Glen Johnson has made a £17m move to join Mr Torres and Mr Benitez at Liverpool.

He had a tough time of it under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and had to join Portsmouth in 2007 to resurrect his career.

Since Fabio Capello brought him back into the England first team, Johnson’s been very effective at right back.

It’s a true test of his character and inner strength that despite having the opportunity to do so, he says he has no bitterness towards his former manager, saying: “I don’t see the point in bearing grudges.”

Welcome back to the big four Johnson and I hope all works out for you at the Kop.

£££££££

I watched the dawning of a new era for UK track and field as 23 year-old sprint star Simeon Williamson won the men’s 100m at the national championships yesterday at the Alexander Stadium, Birmingham.

Dwayne Chambers, 32, huffed and puffed but was blown away by the elegance of Mr Williamson who, despite being slow off the blocks and wearing a necklace, was determined and comfortable with his win

Two other athletes who show promise for Britain in 2012 are Lawrence Clarke, 19, whose skill in the men’s 110m reminds me of Colin Jackson and Jodie Williams, 15, who is likely to win another medal in today’s 200m final.

In other words, we’re getting there!

£££££££

The Tour De France is still by far the most challenging as well as being the grand-daddy of all the cycling tournaments.

But the argument between Lance Armstrong, who bravely defeated cancer a few years ago, and Alberto Contador seems to be overshadowing this great event.

The power struggle between these two men – who are part of the same team – reminds me of the issues that Lewis Hamilton had with his former team-mate Fernando Alonso.

Looking at the various mountain climbs and sprints awaiting the cyclists at today’s Stage 9 in south-west France, their won’t me much opportunity for anyone to argue!

£££££££

I was looking at the sports magazine The Red Bulletin when I read the Me And My Body section, with Davin Hester.

I could symphonise with him about having a weakness for fast food and being a cookie monster.

I too have a craving for such products, despite having diabetes running in my family – I assure you, I haven’t got diabetes but I know if I don’t cut back, there’s a strong possibility I will, so no chocolate for me today!

Check out the full interview – for me it was a pleasure to read - which also explains how much dedication professional sports men and women have, which shows why they excell, at:
www.redbulletin.com/tags/meandmy/en

Also, don’t forget to check out my other internet address: www.andriagreaves.com

Until next time, peace.


Andria

X

No comments: