Tuesday 21 October 2008

I'm in demand!

Hi to one and all

It’s been some time since I last visited my page.

I attended a course on stewarding, run by CES, which started out with a group of 150 men and women whittled to 30, due to the five mini exams we had to take and pass. At first we weren’t told that we were going to be tested but I got through and how I’m qualified to be a steward at concert and sporting events!

Last week Saturday (18 October) I was a steward at the QPR grounds when they played Nottingham Forest. QPR won 2-1 but the game was soured by the racist abuse from the ‘fans’ of the losing side towards the black male stewards – one was called an immigrant – and when they left, only three black supporters of Nottingham Forest were black; two were Asian. Some children were present with their parents but the majority were working class white men.

Then again, looking at how expensive it is to get a ticket to a Premier league match, it’s just as well they don’t support a team like Liverpool – when I went to this region in April, many Liverpudians support Everton, complaining they couldn’t get a ticket to see Liverpool FC. But I enjoyed myself in this city and visited the Liverpool FC museum.

Anyway, back to London, the work I admit and I’m glad that CES are keeping me busy with part-time work so I’m happy with that. I’m also really grateful to be back at the University of Westminster as journalism has changed so much from when I last studied here full-time in 1998-1999.

I’m studying to do broadcast journalism as I admit I get such a thrill in broadcasting but I’m also very glad that I’ve done print journalism and I’m very grateful for working at places such as the Wembley Observer and Pride magazine and was immensely proud to have articles displayed in its sister publication, The New Editor magazine.

I’m also learning how to enjoy simple but effective foods, such as hot dog sausages and beans – this really does taste nice!

I also had a recent e-mail from Capital City Academy, asking if I’d like to do some work with them again – I did some admin at former Willesden High School a few years ago – so it seems I’m in demand again!

Please visit my other Internet address, www.andriagreaves.com

Light and Love

Andria Greaves

No comments: