Wednesday 31 March 2010

Jonathon Dibb, 1974 - 2010, rest in peace

I'm sorry to report that yesterday was the funeral service of my first cousin's husband, held in Yorkshire.

Jennifer Dibb and her partner had a happy life together but he had some personal issues that only Johnathon could deal with.

When he committed suicide, it was a shock for all of us.

I still have a picture of them on my wall at their wedding day, held in south-west London.

It was at a registry office eight years ago and it was a happy day, proving you don't have to go to extraordinary lengths, such as employing a harpist, or ride on an animal, to mark such an important day.

It was John who also helped me focus on sports journalism and told me of his passion for football - soccer to you from the USA.

At least now, like the legendary performer Michael Jackson and the brilliant clothes designer Steve McQueen, I hope he's now finally free from the upheaval and misery in his life.

My condolences to his wife Jennifer and the rest of his immediate family.

£££££££

Producers of the film The Dammed United, about Brian Clough's ill fated tenure as manager at Leeds United, have apologised to a former football player and have paid him compensation over the way he was portrayed.

Defender Dave Mackay was viewed in the film as breaking a players revolt that was mounted at Derby County in 1973 in an attempt to get Clough reinstated following his resignation in an argument with chairman Sam Longson.

But Mackay was a player manager of Swindon Town at that time and had been since 1971.

This is by no means the first time a film has wrongly portrayed people and important situations.

William Wallace, aka Braveheart, was a lowlander, not a highlander.

The shoes worn by Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz were silver - Hollywood made them ruby red to show off it had finally mastered using colour - or as my American spellchecker keeps telling me, color.

I know this entry is short but I hope to be in contact with you soon.

Light and Peace

Andria

X

No comments: